Meet Shamim Aryampa 

Where there is a will, there is a way 

Since childhood, I always had my mind set on pursuing a career in environmental management. I could see the environmental pollution around me and the deteriorating air and water quality, and I was motivated to be among the people who contribute to solving the environmental issues we face as a society. While pursuing my career, I further developed a passion for sustainability and sustainable development which are critical for a resilient society. I would never have imagined the amount of satisfaction that I would get by following my dreams. I feel like my contribution to research and teaching in civil and environmental engineering makes a significant impact on the curious minds of the next generation. Sharing my knowledge and expertise with students and conducting research that contributes to solving real-world problems leaves me feeling fulfilled. I love my work and I am happy that I followed my dreams despite the numerous challenges that would have made it easier to quit than continue.