Photo of UNSW open day of lots of students around the uni grounds.

The UNSW Open Day experience, as reflected on by students

Want to learn more about UNSW Open Day? These UNSW students take a walk down memory lane to tell you all about their Open Day experience.

Suman

Engineering/Law

“I went into UNSW Open Day as a wide-eyed Year 12 student keen to understand how the next few years of my life would ensue. I distinctly remember telling myself on the morning of Open Day to find out as much as possible about all the courses I was interested in.

The Open Day itself was fun, relaxing and most of all quite informative. The busy nature of year 12 for high school students often places the need for information about uni as a secondary concern, which meant that I, much like my friends who also went, were still quite in the dark about the internal mechanisms of courses and entry requirements. Moreover, and more importantly, uni life seemed strange and foreign; so it was important that the feeling of comfort was established from the get go. I believe that as soon as I stepped into the university main gates, people were willing to help and direct me to where I wanted to go – which enabled me to direct myself to my areas of interest, but also allowed me to explore the multitude of options available. The atmosphere was conducive enough to make sure that any questions I asked were met with informed responses which made me feel at ease.

While I eventually did not achieve my desired course at the uni, I still felt that Open Day was important in ensuring that choosing courses and adjusting to uni life was that tiny bit easier.”

Suman is a busy third year Engineering/Law student who still manages to find time to work as a debating adjudicator and legal research assistant, as well as fulfilling his duties as Events Director for the UNSW Maths Society.

Nadine

Advanced Science

Head and shoulders photo of Nadine

“I went to Open Day not really having any clear preferences for any of the Sydney unis. USyd and UTS were on the same day so I visited both of them as well to compare. It probably sounds clichéd, but the vibe of the UNSW campus and the friendliness of the students was what really convinced me to choose UNSW. Of course there was free food which was a huge bonus, but actually talking to the student ambassadors from multiple faculties, they all genuinely wanted to help me know what I was interested in and how UNSW would be a good fit for me. Visiting the other unis in Sydney, there didn’t seem to be the same eagerness, even among staff. There were also lecture type events that were really useful for actually understanding what degrees I might be interested in, which was especially helpful, considering in year 12, I really had no concrete ideas about what I wanted to do. By casting a wide net, going to the engineering and science talks, I was able to get a feel for what I definitely wasn’t interested in and then work from there. I think it also helped that I went with friends from high school and not my parents, because I didn’t feel pressured to look at certain faculties or degrees and I could enjoy more of the fun.”

Nadine is in her fourth year of an Advanced Science degree and apart from being a student ambassador for the UNSW Science Faculty, she singlehandedly organised Orientation Week in 2015 for incoming first years.

Lenny

Commerce/Law

Head and shoulders photo of lenny

“Open Day was a really fantastic time for me to accustom myself with the campus and see what was on offer both academically and socially. At the time I was unsure how my HSC marks would turn out, but attending Open Day at UNSW showed me that regardless of what happened, there would always be an option for me to take through university. I was also fortunate enough to get a taste of the vibrant student life that UNSW offers, and there’s nothing quite like being greeted when entering the uni by a Charizard!”

Lenny is a fourth year Commerce/Law student who is heavily involved in the student life at UNSW. Having been involved in both Law Revue and Med Revue, Lenny enjoys singing, acting and dancing.

Paul

Engineering/Science

Head and shoulders photo of Paul

“I went to Open Day and it really helped me make the right decision. I actually went to UTS, USYD and UNSW all on the same day to compare them. I found the experience very helpful as I could ask current students what the degree and university life was like. It did help me make my UAC decision in the end as I was looking at Science/Engineering at all of the three universities.”

Paul is in his fifth year of a Chemical Engineering/Material Science degree and shares his passion for UNSW as a student ambassador. He recently returned from exchange in America.

Nisa

Media/Law

Head and shoulders photo of Nisa

“I thought that [Open Day] was very informative and I remember going to mini-law lectures and felt like I got a good feel of the university. At that point I was certain of which course I wanted to enrol in but just needed the assurance so I talked to a lot of the student ambassadors and got them to tell me of their experiences – I was still unsure about choosing UTS over UNSW but hearing about the student life and the support network available at UNSW is what made me choose UNSW. It’s always nice to hear first-hand experiences from students.

Nisa is a third year Media/Law student who is a gym junkie, tea connoisseur and food blogger. When not at the gym or eating, she will most likely be diligently doing her law readings.

Want to an attend an Open Day too and explore everything the campus has to offer?

Click here to sign up for the 2017 UNSW open day