CSE Game Design Lab

Innovation in game design

CSE Game Design Lab random header image

Conference with Blind and Visually Impaired

Posted by on March 23rd, 2010 · Uncategorized

Today I was fortunate enough to talk to people who are blind or visually impaired that use the computer a lot. All the participants in the conference were in R&D for adaptive computer techonologies and equipment.

They found that the games for the blind became boring very quickly. Once they learnt the game they felt it was boring, however this may be because of their R&D background. Lots of games for the blind are not exciting for the sighted because of the lack of graphics. If I want to create a game for both sighted and non sighted, I must engage both audiences so I need to provide visuals in a context that makes sense but not necessarily disadvantages the visually impaired.

Another consideration that came out of the conference call was that I should not look towards adaptive technologies because not everyone will have accessibility to the necessary hardware. So my previous idea of using the Novint Falcon may not be a wise design decision because it is not accessible to everyone, so instead I should focus on audio.

No Comments so far ↓