CSE Game Design Lab

Innovation in game design

CSE Game Design Lab random header image

Games for the Blind

Posted by on March 14th, 2010 · Uncategorized

My thesis topic is to create a game for the blind. However, I want this game to appeal to both sighted and non sighted people so that they can play together. I have tried playing some of the games available to the blind and they are far from fantastic…they’re boring. I will be researching what makes games fun for the sighted people, because it is not just the visual aspects of a game that make it fun to play. I will try to implement similar mechanics into the game I plan to create and produce a fun game for all.

One of my ideas is based on the story of Odysseus and the Cyclops where, Odysseus pokes the Cyclops’ eye out. The player will play as the Cyclops and they will be using a combination of sound and the Novint Falcon, a force feedback controller, to navigate and hunt down Odysseus. The player will rampage villages, squish little insignificant humans similar to the game Trogdor.

Another idea is to create a DDR game for the non-sighted. This idea is only in the imaginary stage and the implementation has not been thought of. Different sounds could signify different steps and a combination of these sounds will be a combination of steps. However, it will be slightly different to the DDR that we are accustomed to at arcades. The sounds will be added on top of a dance-y track but how the player will know about any combos or their score requires futher thinking.

Any other ideas or suggestions will be much appreciated 🙂

No Comments so far ↓