The University of New South Wales

Global Education Opportunities

International Educational Experiences of UNSW students

University of Athens “In Country Study Programme”

Posted by on February 23rd, 2014 · Language, Self funded, UNSW Partner Institution, UNSW Summer Break

In January every year our partner university, the University of Athens, offers a fantastic Greek language program for UNSW students! It’s an In-Country Study Programme that goes for 6 weeks during the UNSW Summer holidays.

When

It runs for 6 weeks – commencing the 2nd week of January. 2015 dates to be confirmed.

Who can apply?

This program is open to all UNSW students who have basic Greek language abilities (the equivalent of Introductory Greek). They offer two levels at UAthens – Intermediate and Advanced. Not sure what level you are? Don’t worry just email us and we’ll help you!

For full details on the program, please refer to the Program Information Sheet here.

Enrolment

This program is administered as an intensive exchange program. Students who would like to seek credit for this program (as either an open elective or general education for example) will need to have it approved by their school or faculty. This approval must be completed on an Intensive Transfer of Credit form. Our office will then enrol students into a special exchange code in the UNSW Summer semester.

Register your interest

If you are interested in the 2015 program, please contact advisor4globaled@unsw.edu.au. We can then notify you when we have the updated information on the 2015 program.

Past UNSW student experience:

“I went on the Greek language program at the University of Athens during January and February 2010. It was one of the most fantastic experiences I have had in life. While the primary purpose for me undertaking the program was to complete my units of study in Modern Greek as part of my B International Studies, the program itself proved to be a much more invaluable opportunity. One of the reasons for it being so special was that it was the first time I visited Greece.

The structure of the program was such that we had classes in the morning up until 1pm, after which we had free time for the rest of the day. This flexibility allowed the other students and I to experience what daily life in Athens was like, rather than just commuting between our accommodation and class, and had the effect of further improving my knowledge of the language by virtue of me being required to speak it constantly in order to communicate at shops, cafes, on transport etc. Visiting Greece for the program also gave me the opportunity to meet relatives for the very first time, some of which I was able to see on a regular basis during my stay. On the weekend excursions, we visited some of the most significant Greek cultural and historical sites all over the mainland, which were nothing short of breathtaking.

The University of Athens Greek language program was a unique and amazing experience that I will forever cherish. I strongly recommend this opportunity to anybody who is studying the Greek language.” – George Limnios

No Comments so far ↓