Make the most of your time at UNSW

You worked hard in high school and achieved that killer ATAR. Now you’ve made it into UNSW and you’re planning to continue your winning streak. Go you. I approve.

UNSW will provide you with every opportunity to be successful and reach your goals: the teaching standards are world class, we have state of the art facilities and there are even research opportunities for undergraduates. But you should know that, at university, nobody is going to hold your hand or push you. It is entirely up to you to make the most of your time here and apply yourself to your studies.

And time is of the essence! So, without further ado, I give you my Top 5 Tips for new students who want to succeed at UNSW.

1. Get organised

One of the most important lessons you will learn when you first come to UNSW is that you are expected to be an independent learner. You will quickly learn that tutors don’t nag you to hand in your assignments on time or to study for tests. They may not even tell you when your exams are on.

These things are up to you to figure out and manage for yourself – and this lesson can be learnt the easy way or the hard way! You decide 🙂

sarah05-ps

Enrol in your classes as early as possible, purchase all your textbooks and download all your available readings. Do it now. The UNSW Bookshop can help with all the required texts and materials for your class. I recommend checking out the UNSW Bookshop website and pre-ordering as much as you can!

Then, as soon as you can, plan out your whole semester.

My biggest tip for new students would be to start using an app like iCal on all your apple devices. You can also visit The Learning Centre to pick up a cardboard planner to put near your desk.

plannerps

Fill out all the dates of your exams and assignments and use this to plan your time. This visual will allow you to see how much time you have between each assessment as well as acting as a reminder to stay on top of things.

2. Get involved with clubs and societies

One your study plan is sorted, it’s good to remember that there is so much more to uni life than just going to lectures. One of my favourite things about UNSW is the vibrant campus culture which is filled with an array of endless opportunities. You can choose from hundreds of available opportunities ranging from the academic to careers to sporty to meaningful to social – and to the just plain silly.

Students who get involved with extra curricular activities and volunteer work are bound to have a much more enjoyable and rewarding time at UNSW and create long-lasting friendships with like-minded people.

Getting involved with positive activities also helps you make the right kind of friends – the kind of friends who also want to study hard and succeed, and who will therefore encourage you to do the same. Surrounding yourself with positive, hard-working, like-minded people is crucial to your success. So, set yourself up early on with a good group of friends and study buddies who are interested in the same things you are.

Where to start? UNSW has over 50,000 students from a diverse array of cultural backgrounds, and so there are plenty of clubs and societies to suit anyone and everyone. Why not try a few out and see how you go?

What clubs did I join? I have been a dancer my whole life so when I came to UNSW I was very excited to branch off and try cheerleading with the UNSW Cheerleading Society. Joining CheerSoc helped me make friends and I get to have fun doing something I love with people who also understand what it’s like to be a student. Cheerleading also provides an interesting study break within the convenience of campus. Through this society, I also get the opportunity to travel with my team and compete in competitions across Australia!

cheersoc2

Highlight: I attended a super fun Arts Society camp at the start of my first year, which was one of the best things I have done so far. Over the course of the weekend I got to know so many different people studying similar courses to me, and met people who have since become some of my best friends.

3. Actually READ your readings 🙂

Many students fall behind at uni because they haven’t kept up to date with their readings. You may feel intimidated and shocked by the amount of readings prescribed to you, but it is vital that you keep reading every week so you understand the course content. If you fall behind by just one week, it might feel almost impossible to catch up again.

I recommend making a checklist of all the articles and textbook chapters you have to read and then divide your reading tasks into manageable chunks.

readings-ps

For example, you could do all of your readings for one subject on a Tuesday morning and then another subject on a Thursday morning. To make sure you are actually retaining the information as you read, take out a highlighter and pen, and make notes on the page. Note down any definitions or areas you do not understand and follow up on these. This will ensure that you understand what you are learning in lectures, and will make a dramatic difference to your grades.

4. Get out and exercise

We all know that exercising releases endorphins and makes us happy, but do we realise what a big difference it makes to our studies? Exercise has been proven to increase brain power as well as improving the quality of sleep, therefore improving academic performance.

I have found that when I exercise regularly, I am able to focus better in lectures and tutorials.

east-west-field-jpg

I also enjoy using exercise as a relaxing study break when I can clear my mind and regain my energy. Sitting at your desk and studying for hours on end is actually not very efficient – you need regular breaks or your brain become stale.

There are plenty of spaces and opportunities to exercise at UNSW. Many of them are free! Try playing a sport which you enjoy or trying a new one, go to the gym or take a run around campus and you will definitely notice a difference in your concentration, as well as feeling much better about yourself!

5. EAT 😀

One of the best things about UNSW is the abundance of delicious food and retail outlets on campus. There is also an abundance of free food, if you know where to find it.

We have everything from high-end restaurants to Subway to food courts to food trucks to bars to free barbecues –  and if you’re smart, you can get a free lunch every day of the week.

There is so much food, I even wrote another blog about it. Check it out.

coco-wp

6. Work hard, play hard!

Finally, being successful at uni isn’t just about how many high distinctions you achieve, you have to have fun too!

Make sure you create a good balance between uni and other elements of your life. Lots of students choose to have a part time job which is totally manageable. Of course, as mentioned above, it is important that you save time for sports and spending time with family and friends.

_24A8824

When you first come to uni, you might find that developing friendships is one of your main priorities. Study hard during the week days and then allow yourself to go out with your friends at the weekends. This will give you something to look forward to thus improving your motivation to study throughout the week.

It is so important to enjoy your time at uni – it will be over before you know it.

If you do it right, your time at UNSW will be the best time of your life.

By Sarah Anderson

2 thoughts on “Make the most of your time at UNSW

1. Thank you for taking out to share this tip with mew students. I would be in UNSW next semester.